New legislation dictated-
If The Poor were hungry
They had to live inside a
5x5 mesh cage.
They did as told.
Stood the Public.
They were each given
A ration of one
Some used their double joints
While others practiced a follow through
…Tossing said egg at the mesh cages.
Coating the metal stitching
In dripping yolk.
What dried and crusted inside
The holes of the metal webbing
Was the food for The Poor.
While they ate
The Public chanted:
“Be happy we even gave you that! ”
And the favorite:
“To want more is socialism! ”
After the last egg
Of the new legislation
To clean up
The egg shells
Shattered about their feet.
They did as told.
While a chant echoed:
“Be grateful you have something to do! ”
All the while
The Public ignored the fact
That their taxes
Paid for the eggs.
Making The Chickens
Nothing but wealthy.
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Obamacare. by A.j. Binash )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
Poem of the Day
- Retrace, Sunny Chopra
- Diversity-in-Unity*, Tushar Ray
- Nobody Home - 2. Passive Voice, Joseph Archer
- a written poem, animesh sapkota
- Nobody Home - 1. Forever We Roll, Joseph Archer
- Losing Interest, Dawson Walter Smith
- Thirteen Ways To Look at Flowers, Mason Liu
- Suicide, Michael P. McParland
- Man in the Moon, Diana Landry Bardsly
- Indian English Poetry: A Study In Scatte.., Bijay Kant Dubey