Colin Breck Boardman
O, How I Smile!
O, how I smile!
I smile at the morning sun,
I smile when the day is done;
I smile at a cup of tea,
I smile at the old oak tree;
I smile at the summer flower,
I smile at each sudden shower;
I smile at the horned moon,
I smile for poor Lorna Doone;
I smile on early Monday mornings,
I even smile when I'm yawning!
I smile in slow traffic jams,
I smile when I'm eating spam;
I smile when I miss my date,
I smile when the weekend's late;
I smile at the minimum wage,
I smile at the blank white page.
I smile when my hawks aren't fed,
I smile in my empty bed;
I smile at all my enemies,
(Which makes them rather ill at ease) !
I smile at horrid screaming babies,
I'll smile if my dogs get rabies;
I smile if the nights get cold,
I'll smile if I get too old;
I smile if I'm feeling vague,
I'll smile with bubonic plague;
(When I think of someone dear,
I'll smile with a little tear) .
I'll smile when the Furies call,
I'll smile when the cities fall;
I'll smile when all the cards are dealt,
I'll smile when the ice-caps melt;
I'll smile when all the bees have died,
I'll smile when the Earth has fried;
I'll still be smiling, there's no doubt,
Even when the Sun goes out.
But as I smile I'd like to say,
I smile out to sea each day,
Where once the summer wind had ranged,
And then so very quickly changed,
To leave me stranded in this place,
While fixing fast my smiling face.
(CBB Aug 2011)
Colin Breck Boardman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (O, How I Smile! by Colin Breck Boardman )
- The Soldier's Return: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- Epistle to Hugh Parker, Robert Burns
- Everlasting, Cee Bea
- Oh Daisy, Prophmatt . . .
- Versified Reply to an Invitation, Robert Burns
- Suppressed Stanzas of "The Vision&q.., Robert Burns
- mask, Aftab Alam
- উপলব্ধি-২, Yakub Ali
- The Soul Of A Woman, Arno Le Roux
- Architect Of Harmony, Arno Le Roux
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)