Nucleation (A Caudate Sonnet)
This was no laudanum daydream Robert.
I’m quite clear-headed though I know my cheeks
are flushed. I saw Florence Cathedral’s chic
new façade – finished at last! Time wandered
wilfully, not I. Sightseers hovered
aloft in untethered telepheriques.
I watched people watch zoetrope machines.
I learnt that empty space is not…..Doctor?
No, I’m compos mentis……not quite empty.
I read, over shoulders, sense and riddles
(…surface nucleates carbon dioxide…)
Instantly I thought of all the letters
you sent me. What’s the link? Well, time swan dived
clockstupid to clockwise, so I scribbled
this quick note: ‘A dimpled
oblate spheroid seeds bubbles in soda.’
Dear, you catalyse my lines which over
flow in cola codas.
You loosened my collared throat, and provoke
my mind like Mentos dropped in diet Coke,
and if we can’t revoke
entropy, or seed a virtual cloud
or find a budding multiversal bough,
know I love thee now.
Diane Hine's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Nucleation (A Caudate Sonnet) by Diane Hine )
Did you read them?
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
- The Peasant, kashif khan
- Insanity Of Control, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Barren Future, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Big Pharma, michael walkerjohn
- Finding Gold, douglas scotney
- My Thirst, michael walkerjohn
- Musty Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns