Now Departing from....
Long ash coats and cherry faces
say nearly, but not quite.
Long grey coats and beady faces
say tomorrow, maybe.
Long drizzled coats and dreary faces
say very, very nearly.
Long black coats and scaly faces
say lift as one.
God he's heavy.
White gowns and plastic gloves long gone
just sorry gloves for someone.
John Scully's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Now Departing from.... by John Scully )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- And indeed death has a domain, Daisy Pereira
- Listening to the radio in the Afternoon, Angell Afinowi
- We Want Democracy, Now., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- Cantus lacrimosus, Angell Afinowi
- Rest My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- Life's like a compote of the desserts, Mark Heathcote
- I fade away into the light, Anu Shraddha
- Neo-Classic Tasweer/Hindi/Urdu, Aftab Alam
- The awkward Moment, Angell Afinowi
- Loo Prints, Phil Soar