I’m not a great man or a good guy
I’m just a kid.
A kid who has been thrown out into the tides of the world, wandering from high to low not knowing which direction to go or if I can even escape the pull.
I don’t have all the answers.
I don’t know anything.
I’m still trying to figure out what I am supposed to do and everyone is saying I should have the future figured out by now but I can’t even tie my shoes right, so how am I expected to know the next ten years of my life?
I’ve never planned for it because part of me never saw me making it that far and that is not a sign of suicide but a confession that maybe I might not be good enough.
I don’t want to stand on a pedestal and preach that I am the new messiah for our generation, I don’t want to let down each and every one of you.
Please don’t look at me like I have it all together.
I am just as lost as you are. I might smile and play the part of the guy that’s got lightning as his heart, fearless as he marches on, but listen: I used to be afraid of the thunder, and I'm still afraid of the dark.
I have not yet lit the lighthouse torches to illuminate everything I've been scared of, I don’t swim in deep waters my toes are always in the sand. I am not made of stone, I will crumble at the first touch of gentle hands.
My spirit is not diamond, it is shattered glass.The difference between terror and horror is what time of the day it strikes, I've been scared my whole life because my hourglass has a crack, my clock hands move left to right.
My timing has been off since May 24th,1997.
I don’t expect sympathy or condolence, I just want a moment of silence in the noise since my skull is a spinning top. I want to stop but can’t find the strength to start thinking forward.
Four words are what I use to get by but sometimes I just need to hear three, just need to know that it won’t be held against me.
That I am not made of china. I’m afraid that someone can’t fill these cracks with gold and I’m afraid that I might not even be able to do it on my own
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Enough by Jason Terrell )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD?, Ray Lucero
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Thank You My Love, Margaret Alice Second
- My Dream, Michael P. McParland
- joshua trees hopping in the trunk of the.., Mandolyn ...
- my lovely lovely wife, Rasheed Alqahas
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White
- Eric Gone Postal, Eve White
- Half-Breed or Racist, Eve White
- (Rock ballad) Hold on and letting go, Putri Misnia Shary Bahri (Sh ..
- Road Kill, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Plum Pudding Much Needed, Vera Sidhwa