Not all Fathers will get a chance to celebrate Father's Day
Not all fathers will get a chance to celebrate Father's Day.
Some are too quick to run while others are quicker to stay.
Some are prone to neglect while others can't help but care.
Some are always absent while others find ways to be there.
Some know how to hurt while others do nothing but protect.
Some know how to devalue while others love and respect.
Some know how to degrade while others know how to encourage.
Some are born lowly cowards while others are true men of courage.
For you see the sad fact of life is that not all Fathers are the same.
It takes more to being a father than just carrying around the name.
Only those who are heroes and role models to their kids every day,
Get the great privilege to celebrate being a father on Father's Day.
Elena Plotkin Copyright 2013
Topic(s): fathers day
Elena Plotkin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
You are my father, my hero, my constant role model.
I love you.
Comments about this poem (Not all Fathers will get a chance to celebrate Father's Day by Elena Plotkin )
- Core Of Mistrust, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Motive Is The Focus, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- macarana, Cee Bea
- Gathering Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Casting Out My Worries To You, Monterio Hill
- The Initiation, Echezonachukwu Nduka
- Circular Cycle, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Unofficial Issues, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Closed, Annalee Hopkins Somerville
- Iridescent, Adriana Avila
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- First Lesson, Philip Booth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)