THE Window has Four little Panes:
But One have I;
The Window-Panes are in its sash,—
I wonder why!
My Feet they haul me 'round the House:
They hoist me up the Stairs;
I only have to steer them and
They ride me everywheres.
Remarkable truly, is Art!
See—Elliptical wheels on a Cart!
It looks very fair
In the Picture up there;
But imagine the Ride when you start!
[Pg 58]I'd rather have fingers than Toes;
I'd rather have Ears than a Nose:
And as for my hair,
I'm glad it's all there,
I'll be awfully sad when it goes!
I wish that my Room had a floor;
I don't so much care for a Door,
But this walking around
Without touching the ground
Is getting to be quite a bore!
Gelett Burgess's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nonsense Verses by Gelett Burgess )
- I Remember, Kelly Shanks
- Right there, Robert Lynnn
- Beautiful heaven, hasmukh amathalal
- Black Thursday, Barry Jablonski
- ... MY FIGHT FOR LIFE..., Ken e Hall
- Show life, hasmukh amathalal
- Life, Soul Watcher
- Song of Myself, LII, Walt Whitman
- Bharatheeyakavitha-3, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Childhood is the Kingdom Where Nobody Dies, Edna St. Vincent Millay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Case Of Murder, Vernon Scannell
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Green Mountain, Li Po
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)