Saying good night, at the end of each day,
I'm sad she's not here, but miles away.
Decades ago, she once was my bride.
I miss her so much, I'm empty inside,
With her not here, I do nothing but cry.
Closing my eyes, I then try to sleep,
With longing inside, I again start to weep.
Suddenly remembered, what I once said to she,
We'll meet in the stars, waiting I'll be.
Once we're united, let our spirits run free.
Though distance tends, to keep us apart,
Remember I still hold her near in my heart.
Most nights together, cannot be ours,
Though married to others, and stuck behind bars.
Close your sweet eyes, and we'll meet in the stars.
Recalling those words, I then start to smile,
Close gently my eyes, lessening the miles.
I see all the stars, how beautifully arranged,
But she is not there, nothing has changed.
Sadder I get, with no love we’ll exchange.
I sit there, alone, with hope in my heart,
Cursing the life, that kept us apart.
Then off in the distance, wisps start to churn,
An image appears, of something long yearned,
Tears start to flow, you've finally returned.
Copyright © 2013 -
GJG Elton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nightly Goodnight by GJG Elton )
- Sealed, Valerie Dohren
- Enamored Love, Lilly Emery
- The Futility Of Illusions, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Tour of Autumn, Cathy Hodgson
- The ache, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Ein schmaler Streifen kahler Klippen, Wolfgang Steinmann
- We've Got to Tear These Fences Down Yeah!, David Clinch
- It's My Home, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- In the Sun's Falsetto, Kewayne Wadley
- A Poem, David Clinch
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Identity, Cyrus Diaz
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Human Abstract, William Blake
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)