Saying good night, at the end of each day,
I'm sad she's not here, but miles away.
Decades ago, she once was my bride.
I miss her so much, I'm empty inside,
With her not here, I do nothing but cry.
Closing my eyes, I then try to sleep,
With longing inside, I again start to weep.
Suddenly remembered, what I once said to she,
We'll meet in the stars, waiting I'll be.
Once we're united, let our spirits run free.
Though distance tends, to keep us apart,
Remember I still hold her near in my heart.
Most nights together, cannot be ours,
Though married to others, and stuck behind bars.
Close your sweet eyes, and we'll meet in the stars.
Recalling those words, I then start to smile,
Close gently my eyes, lessening the miles.
I see all the stars, how beautifully arranged,
But she is not there, nothing has changed.
Sadder I get, with no love we’ll exchange.
I sit there, alone, with hope in my heart,
Cursing the life, that kept us apart.
Then off in the distance, wisps start to churn,
An image appears, of something long yearned,
Tears start to flow, you've finally returned.
Copyright © 2013 -
GJG Elton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nightly Goodnight by GJG Elton )
- we are a perfect promenade, Mandolyn ...
- When Love Opened The Door, Lora Colon
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tears of Eyes Speak The Truth, Rohit Sapra
- Goose bumps / song, Mark Heathcote
- The Chameleon, Sir Toby
- A game of Love, Sir Toby
- As I would like to grow old (to my Mother), Gianfranco Aurilio
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns