Nicknames (Fun Poem 146)
Everyone gets a nickname
at some point in their life
and it will last for years.
Unfortunately I’ve had more than one.
The first came at school
when I lived in Canada
and my friends called me Boner.
I am not even going
to explain where that came from.
My next came at school
when I moved to England
and I was called Verdi.
It was derived from
my middle name Verdun.
When I left school and went to work
and I got collared with Sticky Toes
after I accidently spilt
glue on a floor
and got stuck in it
At my next job
I ended up with another
after my scruffy appearance
while I was there.
However my next nickname
was garnished a few years and jobs later
and has come back to haunt me
from time to time
and that was Fluff.
It got that bad no one
knew me by my real name
and it even found its way
onto my wage slips.
Finally when I thought
I left it well behind
my wife told my late brother
and he started calling me Fluffy.
It was a little later I collared my latest
and final one I hope;
now I’m known as Dodgy Dave.
With that one I have become a tad notorious
having had a whole series of poems
written about my antics
called Dodgy Dave Tales
taken from true incidents in my life.
If you get a nickname
don’t get embarrassed,
just live with it until
the next one comes to call.
Just look what it did for me.
It made me rather infamous. Lol!
6 July 2013
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nicknames (Fun Poem 146) by David Harris )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel
- Story of snow., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- She Wanted, Spiritwind Wood
- When love was born, Lehlohonolo Selai
- There is a Configuration of the Universe, michael walkerjohn