Neon Bible -For John Kennedy Toole
There in the tawdry glow of a corner lamp,
In the piss pools dripping into gutters
Outside the dim and dreary bars,
The pages waltzing around alleyways,
Rejected and shelved,
They would not stay still.
Words dead were resurrected
Like Jesus at Easter,
And we came to know
How a confederacy of dunces,
Blind to brilliance,
Turned you away.
The staggering preacher bleats
His boozy verse from a skidmarked bible,
Flecked with bourbon vomit and neon glare.
His admonition against sin
Grins back at him with knowing nods
And come hither looks.
He mumbles a prayer and stumbles after.
And in the end,
You found redemption,
A gassy sleep in Biloxi.
A finish to the self hate,
And a slovenly St. Ignatius
Bumbling ahead like a clownish prophet,
Proclaimed your second coming.
What waste, what waste!
What might we have read had you lived?
Instead, a God distracted,
Attention turned elsewhere,
Did not even think to turn off the key.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Neon Bible -For John Kennedy Toole by Charles Darnell )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- What You Create, Susan Lacovara
- LEARNING 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- VIRTUES VS. TRUTH, Beryl Dov
- LOVE VS. SCIENCE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- SUNRISE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- BACK STABBING 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Dispersion of Time, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Honour Killing (For The Arabic People), Bijay Kant Dubey
- You Are In My Way, Susan Lacovara
- I FORGIVE YOU 10 WORD, Beryl Dov