Neon Bible -For John Kennedy Toole
There in the tawdry glow of a corner lamp,
In the piss pools dripping into gutters
Outside the dim and dreary bars,
The pages waltzing around alleyways,
Rejected and shelved,
They would not stay still.
Words dead were resurrected
Like Jesus at Easter,
And we came to know
How a confederacy of dunces,
Blind to brilliance,
Turned you away.
The staggering preacher bleats
His boozy verse from a skidmarked bible,
Flecked with bourbon vomit and neon glare.
His admonition against sin
Grins back at him with knowing nods
And come hither looks.
He mumbles a prayer and stumbles after.
And in the end,
You found redemption,
A gassy sleep in Biloxi.
A finish to the self hate,
And a slovenly St. Ignatius
Bumbling ahead like a clownish prophet,
Proclaimed your second coming.
What waste, what waste!
What might we have read had you lived?
Instead, a God distracted,
Attention turned elsewhere,
Did not even think to turn off the key.
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Neon Bible -For John Kennedy Toole by Charles Darnell )
- Ingenious Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Why Must There Be Dragonflies?, Stephen Warren Williams
- Enough is Enough!, Shaila Touchton
- For Boy George (The First Time I Saw You), Dave Alan Walker
- Acceptance, Barbara Dixion
- The Pendulum of Life, bryan wallace
- Sentiments Of Love, Louis Borgo
- Forever Free, courtney metcalf
- Rage Against the Machine, Amber Hardisty
- Out, Barbara Dixion
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Flower of Love, Oscar Wilde
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)