Neither clever nor rich
I am a simple man
and when misfortune plays its balalaika
I dance, for what else is there to do?
No, though dancing neither shortens
nor prolongs the noisome song
I, I would all days
rather dance than weep.
Truth is much like a dance.
May I have this one?
Change partners, dozy do
(pray undo this cummerbund) .
and Life, Life's a bouquet
of field flowers
artfully arranged, now undone,
now drawn to different stars.
I play no chess with Death
but poker, rather, a simpler pursuit
and more dependent, way, on luck-
so far it's worked out well,
Luck a better foil, you see,
than skill, and at chess
Death is always the winner-
nobody matches his moves.
Morgan Michaels's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Neither by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Not necessarily, hasmukh amathalal
- I embrace my pen, gajanan mishra
- Loveless Love, Paul Hartal
- But vicinty, hasmukh amathalal
- Past Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Still Small Voice, Leong Ming Loong
- Gap and divide, hasmukh amathalal
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Mulugkhw..., Swrji Basumatary
- Being Entertained By Nature, RoseAnn V. Shawiak