Neither clever nor rich
I am a simple man
and when misfortune plays its balalaika
I dance, for what else is there to do?
No, though dancing neither shortens
nor prolongs the noisome song
I, I would all days
rather dance than weep.
Truth is much like a dance.
May I have this one?
Change partners, dozy do
(pray undo this cummerbund) .
and Life, Life's a bouquet
of field flowers
artfully arranged, now undone,
now drawn to different stars.
I play no chess with Death
but poker, rather, a simpler pursuit
and more dependent, way, on luck-
so far it's worked out well,
Luck a better foil, you see,
than skill, and at chess
Death is always the winner-
nobody matches his moves.
Morgan Michaels's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Neither by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Who Ever Loved That Loved Not at First S.., Christopher Marlowe
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Musing on The March To Life 2015...(Grap.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Paradise Found 2, Paul Butters
- Phyllis, Kim Barney
- Twilight, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Writer's Block, Paul Butters
- Johnny Giles (Clerihew), Paul Butters
- Vapour Trail Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- Carrot/Stick Solution, Ima Ryma
- electrification, oskar hansen
- Love And Respect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak