I woke to the morning,
still lost to last night's darkness,
the endless sound of dripping rain
falling outside my windowsill.
I cursed this prelude,
folded the pillow around my head,
searched in its warm comfort for a dream I could ride.
Just give me a reason, I thought
an inspiration, a purpose
a way to face the rain.
I lay listening for an answer,
hearing nothing but the percussion
of the steady pitter-pattering drops
against the windows and gutters.
Then the wind,
as it whistled through the trees
brought in the tenor of a horn section,
strummed the chains of the porch swing,
and drummed a branch on the roof.
Nature's symphony rose in crescendo,
just to fall,
until only the faint sounds
played in piano,
an overture to a rending thunderclap,
the climax to natures composition.
I lost myself in the music of the morning
and in its beauty found my inspiration.
Joey Jones 2013
Joey Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Natures Ensemble by Joey Jones )
- मेरे रब मेरे ही होना!, Aftab Alam
- On Valentine, Naveed Khalid
- The Ghost and the Darkness, Ima Ryma
- Bermuda's Triangle, Naveed Khalid
- खुद के साये से भी डरने लगा हूँ, Aftab Alam
- Evening, Naveed Khalid
- Pravasi Lokam, Arun Narayanan nileshwar
- What a scene, hasmukh amathalal
- Pastoral, Naveed Khalid
- I feel autumn, hasmukh amathalal