Sometimes when I'm so down
That there is no up
Like when you wake in the middle
Of the night…and all you can think of
Are things that you don't want to think of.
When you wonder why words like
Warm, fuzzy, and nice seem lost
In the depths of your mind.
What I do when this happens
(as it seems to do more often of late) Is…
I think of Marigolds and Petunias,
Hollyhocks and violets. Warm cozy places,
Porch swings and kitty cats
Barns, hugs, puppies and cinnamon
Bubbling brooks, rusty bridges
Wind riffled bluegrass atop
Dragonflies. Honeybees, misty mornings.
And spider webs draped in dew.
I wrap myself in these warm fuzzy things
And go back to sleep
…On gossamer wings…
David Whalen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nature's Nostrums by David Whalen )
- Tinnitus - New York Style, Geoffrey Fafard
- Love's Metaphor, Naveed Khalid
- Aurora, Naveed Khalid
- Mythology, Naveed Khalid
- Gifts Of Heredity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On His Metaphysics, Naveed Khalid
- Pining Daily, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mandrake, Naveed Khalid
- Breathing Easier Now, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Surge, the Night Unseen: There Is a Dawn, Aeronius D. McCoy