I once had a sign saying ‘Nature Reserve' -
My present state, I don't think was deserved.
Across my river, blue dragonflies skimmed,
But the state of me now looks really quite grim.
That I was once beautiful, it's hard to believe;
Nowadays, I am finding it so hard to breathe.
Lying all around, there is nothing but junk,
And my once crystal waters are bunged up with gunk.
There is stuff sticking up all over the place -
A fridge, a TV, a battered suitcase;
There are bits of old bike, rusty wheel-caps galore,
Despite such dumping being against our law.
There are supermarket trolleys and an old mattress;
I've sadly become what you'd call ‘a right mess'.
I now resemble what you may call ‘modern art';
In this crazy creation, I did not play a part.
I had always been what you would call ‘pretty wild',
But I was a playground for both adult and child.
I hosted picnicking families having fun in the sun,
And through my waters, wild otters have swum.
Rare plants flourished and kingfishers fished;
Small children played and young lovers kissed.
But now they don't come anywhere near -
The air all around me is lacking in cheer.
My wide expanse is now covered with litter;
About my predicament, I'm feeling quite bitter.
With all this rubbish, my waters are choked;
Feeling this way is certainly no joke.
Folk have allowed me to get into this state;
Within their hands now lies my fate.
Maybe one day, I'll tell a different story,
If ever I'm restored to my former glory.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nature Reserve by Angela Wybrow )
- Awake, Michael McParland
- Rescue the Poor Eves!, Dr John Celes
- Extend hand at once, hasmukh amathalal
- Memory, Benhardi Dicka
- Canoeing, Doyen Lingua
- Like child, hasmukh amathalal
- Her Saturday Ritual, Arno Le Roux
- Loving Across Seasons, Arno Le Roux
- I wish to be earthen lamp, Aftab Alam
- The Business Of Life, Arno Le Roux
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)