I once had a sign saying ‘Nature Reserve' -
My present state, I don't think was deserved.
Across my river, blue dragonflies skimmed,
But the state of me now looks really quite grim.
That I was once beautiful, it's hard to believe;
Nowadays, I am finding it so hard to breathe.
Lying all around, there is nothing but junk,
And my once crystal waters are bunged up with gunk.
There is stuff sticking up all over the place -
A fridge, a TV, a battered suitcase;
There are bits of old bike, rusty wheel-caps galore,
Despite such dumping being against our law.
There are supermarket trolleys and an old mattress;
I've sadly become what you'd call ‘a right mess'.
I now resemble what you may call ‘modern art';
In this crazy creation, I did not play a part.
I had always been what you would call ‘pretty wild',
But I was a playground for both adult and child.
I hosted picnicking families having fun in the sun,
And through my waters, wild otters have swum.
Rare plants flourished and kingfishers fished;
Small children played and young lovers kissed.
But now they don't come anywhere near -
The air all around me is lacking in cheer.
My wide expanse is now covered with litter;
About my predicament, I'm feeling quite bitter.
With all this rubbish, my waters are choked;
Feeling this way is certainly no joke.
Folk have allowed me to get into this state;
Within their hands now lies my fate.
Maybe one day, I'll tell a different story,
If ever I'm restored to my former glory.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nature Reserve by Angela Wybrow )
- Perfectly Loveable, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Your 2 Blame, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Love is a wonder, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- A Hug To Say I Love You, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- How Do You?, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- My religion, gajanan mishra
- Self-centered, Somanathan Iyer
- Human Male, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- strange is the mindset!, Somanathan Iyer
- DREAMS........., Saturday Chikezie Promise
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The City Planners, Margaret Atwood
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- On His Blindness, John Milton
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)