A Nation's voice, a nation's voice
It is a solemn thing!
It bids the bondage-sick rejoice
'Tis stronger than a king.
'Tis like the light of many stars,
The sound of many waves,
Which brightly look through prison bars,
And sweetly sound in caves.
Yet is it noblest, godliest known,
When righteous triumph swells its tone.
A nation's flag, a nation's flag-
If wickedly unrolled,
May foes in adverse battle drag
Its every fold from fold.
But in the cause of Liberty,
Guard it 'gainst Earth and Hell;
Guard it till Death or Victory-
Look you, you guard it well!
No saint or king has tomb so proud
As he whose flag becomes his shroud.
A nation's right, a nation's right-
God gave it, and gave, too,
A nation's sword, a nation's might,
Danger to guard it through.
'Tis freedom from a foreign yoke,
'Tis just and equal laws,
Which deal unto the humblest folk,
As in a noble's cause.
On nations fixed in right and truth,
God would bestow eternal youth.
May Ireland's voice be ever heard
Amid the world's applause!
And never be her flag-staff stirred,
But in an honest cause!
May Freedom be her very breath,
Be Justice ever dear;
And never an ennobled death
May son of Ireland fear!
So the Lord God will ever smile,
With guardian grace, upon our isle.
Thomas Davis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nationality by Thomas Davis )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Phantom!, Denis Martindale
- Combing Interior Forces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Songs of A Bull Frog (Part Three) .., Merton Lee
- Awesome Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fluid Insturmental Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Satisfied, Robert Ronnow
- Ones Parents, michael walkerjohn
- Fascinating Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel