My Slim Bark
My slim bark, my slim bark
Glides smoothly cross the lake.
A common loon, a father
Thinks this a strange mistake
And flounders, a seeming wound
To lure me from his brood
As if my ever paddling here
Were something wrong and rude.
But I know so much different
The waters seem like home
And play with me from dawn to dusk
As happily I roam.
Sometimes they roll a coaster-ride
And I have scarce to pull
Sometimes they chop in drizzle's haze
And work is plentiful.
The sky affords a canopy
Of God's most vivid art
In clear blue heat, in threatening clouds
To thrill this wanderer's heart.
The air is fresh, my lungs are clean
The smell of pine delights
A moose looks on from evening's shore
And oh, those northern lights!
And such has been the legacy
Of voyageurs of yore
Who crossed these lakes, and camped these rocks
Through many moons before.
A small fire sheds its warming hue
The limbs all happily ache
And small frogs close the day in song
As sweet dreams overtake.
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Slim Bark by Doug Blair )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Μαέστρος, Giorgio A. V.
- Culprits!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Beautiful Woman II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bring Them Up, Edward Kofi Louis
- Argument, Leslie Philibert
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -102, Ronjoy Brahma
- Dammim II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Welsh Patterns in English Tongue, Pamela
- Mysterious Night, Greta Wolzak
- Passing Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak