My Sister's Birthday
We watch as toddlers
run squealing through the house,
laughter bounding through bright halls,
a knee-level storm of pure joy.
They punctuate our grown-up conversation
as the slide-show begins.
Now you're the bright eyed infant!
Mom was so young and pretty
Holding you close
in her strong, gleaming arms,
as the cousins, delighted, cry
'Look! Grandma's a baby! '
In wonder we watch
the years of youth and school
love and weddings
and bright new babies,
pause on the haunting eyes
of those gentle people
whom we've loved
to the good night.
As your party continues,
I see in the eyes
of four generations,
a century's worth
of smiling for the camera
a cloud of love
transcending both years and death.
So don't worry about your age, dear sister.
we never really grow old.
Steven Federle's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Sister's Birthday by Steven Federle )
- Hoping For The Best, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 'what color is it? ' they thought, after.., Mandolyn ...
- mary the narcoleptic shepherd, joni frog
- First Encounter - khairy Jamaluddin, john tiong chunghoo
- Laugh And Chuckle, Harold R Hunt Sr
- In success, hasmukh amathalal
- You are not allowed, gajanan mishra
- Liaison, hasmukh amathalal
- Coming To Light, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sally With Arachnophobia ..... [SPIDERS.., Bri Edwards
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)