Robert Louis Stevenson
From Child's Garden of Verses
I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.
The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow--
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes goes so little that there's none of him at all.
He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close behind me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!
One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(3 June 1926 – 5 April 1997)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Fighting, Dark Guardian
- I Like My Lips Against Yours, Is It Poetry
- Sound Of India, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Best Test, John Shea
- peace in the battle field..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Refueling My Soul, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God I'll Bake For You, Mr. Nobody
- Exploitation, Akhtar Jawad
- Kill not, kill not, gajanan mishra
- Too filmy, hasmukh amathalal