My Morning Mirror
May I awaken to the light of
my own true nature.
- - - -From a Buddhist Prayer
Looking through the image
before me in my morning mirror,
in a moment's transcendent concentration,
was a stranger staring back at me.
It was an aged face I saw
of steadfast, peering eyes,
a dour page of withered text
composed by time's darker inks.
What lingering memory in morning's mist,
carved those deepened lines,
of loss and choices with no remaking,
etched that face before my mirror dark?
Like an ancient tome to its shelf consigned,
long bound by fore edge clasp and chain,
unlike its words, by their thoughts endowed
set free to drift from page to page.
They're not mine those eyes I see,
but still a child's like mine.
There my mind resides, ageless, roaming rooms
where hope and dreams and fears abide.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Morning Mirror by Peter Olevnik )
- Taking cover., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Unclothing Her, Do You Want To Photograp.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love You Mom, Harold R Hunt Sr
- what is it for, Bull Hawking
- THE WEEKEND BASH., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Not with truth, gajanan mishra
- The race, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Folk dances., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Day, Hanh Chau
- The Wild West., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Different Ways to Pray, Naomi Shihab Nye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)