My Morning Mirror
May I awaken to the light of
my own true nature.
- - - -From a Buddhist Prayer
Looking through the image
before me in my morning mirror,
in a moment's transcendent concentration,
was a stranger staring back at me.
It was an aged face I saw
of steadfast, peering eyes,
a dour page of withered text
composed by time's darker inks.
What lingering memory in morning's mist,
carved those deepened lines,
of loss and choices with no remaking,
etched that face before my mirror dark?
Like an ancient tome to its shelf consigned,
long bound by fore edge clasp and chain,
unlike its words, by their thoughts endowed
set free to drift from page to page.
They're not mine those eyes I see,
but still a child's like mine.
There my mind resides, ageless, roaming rooms
where hope and dreams and fears abide.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Morning Mirror by Peter Olevnik )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Harold Hart Crane
(21 July 1899 – 27 April 1932)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(25 November 1890 – 1 April 1918)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(6 January 1878 – 22 July 1967)
(1886 - 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Ranga Duniya ne Dkhaya hai Nirala, Kumar Vishwas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Television, Roald Dahl
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Enjoying Conversations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- How Long A Breath of Moment Be...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Communicating Through Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moments Of Refreshing Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God., Th@ We N0t, sEaN nOrTh
- only Dfence against a rhythm - Boi, sEaN nOrTh
- Snuggle 2, Michael P. McParland
- ROAD FROM PARIS 1970, Terry Collett
- '' O '', Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Short and Sweet, Brittany Veloso