My Love Is A Tree
A tree is the purest illustration of love
Roots planted so deep into the earth, it's unmovable
Growing green to the sun shining on its leaves
Soaking the water falling deep within the earth
It stands tall looking so strong
Until one person makes it fall.
Rips it right out of the ground
and over time, all its leaves turn brown
But it doesn't cry, it only makes one sound
when it hits the floor, after it falls down.
I'd like to say I'm a tree.
I'd like to say that my leaves are green
and that the birds sit on my branches to sing
leaving me with an outstretched peace
I am a tree.
My roots planted deep in the earth
but day by day, with your ax in hand
you chop away at my bark
expecting me to still stand
I reach toward the Son
but the pain i can't overcome
and i feel myself falling slowly down to the earth
my leaves; half green half brown
and when i fall, i won't cry
I'll make but one and only sound
I'll look you in the eye
and desperately ask you why
Why you couldn't plant your roots down next to my green leaves?
Why you couldn't reach outstretched to find the same kind of peace?
Why you couldn't tell me you too were a tree?
Why you could never let yourself fall in love with me?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Love Is A Tree by Simone Graves )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila
- The Main Ingredient, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Missing From Action, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter
- Fishing Village, sheena blackhall
- Skull, Mark R Slaughter