My Love Is A Tree
A tree is the purest illustration of love
Roots planted so deep into the earth, it's unmovable
Growing green to the sun shining on its leaves
Soaking the water falling deep within the earth
It stands tall looking so strong
Until one person makes it fall.
Rips it right out of the ground
and over time, all its leaves turn brown
But it doesn't cry, it only makes one sound
when it hits the floor, after it falls down.
I'd like to say I'm a tree.
I'd like to say that my leaves are green
and that the birds sit on my branches to sing
leaving me with an outstretched peace
I am a tree.
My roots planted deep in the earth
but day by day, with your ax in hand
you chop away at my bark
expecting me to still stand
I reach toward the Son
but the pain i can't overcome
and i feel myself falling slowly down to the earth
my leaves; half green half brown
and when i fall, i won't cry
I'll make but one and only sound
I'll look you in the eye
and desperately ask you why
Why you couldn't plant your roots down next to my green leaves?
Why you couldn't reach outstretched to find the same kind of peace?
Why you couldn't tell me you too were a tree?
Why you could never let yourself fall in love with me?
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Love Is A Tree by Simone Graves )
- Sunshine In Your Eyes, Eleonor Santiago
- Run, run, run and running, gajanan mishra
- Run, run, run, gajanan mishra
- What About Tomorrow, Claude H Oliver II
- My Time, Claude H Oliver II
- The ball, gajanan mishra
- Thousand Lullabies, Eleonor Santiago
- Highest Sky, Eleonor Santiago
- Paradise Rhyme, Eleonor Santiago
- To the Depths, Eleonor Santiago
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)