My Love Is A Tree
A tree is the purest illustration of love
Roots planted so deep into the earth, it's unmovable
Growing green to the sun shining on its leaves
Soaking the water falling deep within the earth
It stands tall looking so strong
Until one person makes it fall.
Rips it right out of the ground
and over time, all its leaves turn brown
But it doesn't cry, it only makes one sound
when it hits the floor, after it falls down.
I'd like to say I'm a tree.
I'd like to say that my leaves are green
and that the birds sit on my branches to sing
leaving me with an outstretched peace
I am a tree.
My roots planted deep in the earth
but day by day, with your ax in hand
you chop away at my bark
expecting me to still stand
I reach toward the Son
but the pain i can't overcome
and i feel myself falling slowly down to the earth
my leaves; half green half brown
and when i fall, i won't cry
I'll make but one and only sound
I'll look you in the eye
and desperately ask you why
Why you couldn't plant your roots down next to my green leaves?
Why you couldn't reach outstretched to find the same kind of peace?
Why you couldn't tell me you too were a tree?
Why you could never let yourself fall in love with me?
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Love Is A Tree by Simone Graves )
- Confessions of a Cat Lover, Deborah Eker
- Amelia, My Brother's Cat, Deborah Eker
- First Trimester, Donal Mahoney
- erotic terminology, lee fones
- The place of defeat, Terry Mitchison
- Father: Every Morning of His Life, Donal Mahoney
- Winter here الشتاء هنا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Inference to All Our Years of Walk, N.K. Trevor
- A Sunny Day, Deborah Eker
- A Rainy Day, Deborah Eker
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)