Richard Allen Beevor
I sat in the mansion that once was my Lords,
the rain outside beating hard on the windows pane,
in each part the house was silent on this night,
I waited alone the long while in the candle lit gloom.
Far across the cold moor, a great distance was the town,
the peace of this place was always restful to my nerves,
yet a question rattled the chains of memory through my mind,
! Where is my Lord? '
'Why does he not appear? '
I sat alone in the great dining hall, quiet my soul, content,
as outside wind now pressed against the glass,
give me an answer to ease this burden of not knowing,
rest my weary mind at last,
'Where is my Lord? '
'Why is he not here? '
'Your Lord is dead! '
The voices whispered in my ear,
'He rests quiet in his tomb beneath the sodden earth'
None will know what took place this night,
he lies in peace and for time immemorial
the cause shall be unknown,
the secret of his death lives in the soil,
his seed on winds now blown.
Richard Allen Beevor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Lord by Richard Allen Beevor )
Did you read them?
- Love and True love, Tilde Sauffaus
- On - that note, sEaN nOrTh
- In The Quiet Of The Night, Clive Blake
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #8, Brian Johnston
- Old Drunk's Advice to an Anxious Beau, Donal Mahoney
- TWAILE! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Mother, Tamara Dunn
- Autumn, Mark Hamilton
- J.Bast, I try your face... - translation.., Lyudmila Purgina
- It's Not Nice To Kill Other People, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns