Richard Allen Beevor
I sat in the mansion that once was my Lord's,
the rain outside beating hard on the window's pane,
in each part the house was silent on this night,
I waited alone the long while in the candle lit gloom.
Far across the cold moor, a great distance was the town,
the peace of this place was always restful to my nerves,
yet a question rattled the chains of memory through my mind,
'Where is my Lord? '
'Why does he not appear? '
I sat alone in the great dining hall, quiet my soul content,
as outside wind now pressed against the glass,
give me an answer to ease this burden of not knowing,
rest my weary mind at last,
'Where is my Lord? '
'Why is he not here? '
'Your Lord is dead! '
The voices whispered in my ear,
'He rests quiet in his tomb beneath the sodden earth'
None will know what took place this night,
he lies in peace and for time immemorial
the cause shall be unknown,
the secret of his death lives in the soil,
his seed on winds now blown.
Richard Allen Beevor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Lord by Richard Allen Beevor )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Crying Shame, Anthony Daniels
- Crystal Consciousness, Margaret Alice Second
- Invest the present, gajanan mishra
- Free Gaff! !, Damian Murphy
- Blizzards are not snows, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- w0rk ya mAjiK - (Selah (take a moment to.., sEaN nOrTh
- At the End of the Rainbow, Reagan A. Latumbo
- yeah you got all the answers i know - an.., sEaN nOrTh
- Life-death bicycle, gajanan mishra
- Broken Not Forgotten, Melissa Furey