M.D Dinesh Nair
MY DONKEY HAS TO KEEP QUIET
My donkey can speak and he has forgotten to bray like others
I tell him to speak about these times
And he speaks like a god of our yesterdays.
He nods his head all the while and silences my ‘nays’
My donkey speaks about the sin and salvation,
He speaks about the quakes and storms and
They are there in his store for the rest of his species.
There is a sinister look on his face that is fierce too
My donkey looks philosophical at times, I bet
And he says he has to speak about the future too.
He now speaks about a life that sans hunger and thirst
And a life wherein an empire of eternity awaits all
A few braying donkeys walk towards my gate
He sees them and chases them out crying, ” Idiots”.
When the sun sets over my home too, I tell my donkey
To bray for a while and to sleep for the whole night
I recollect from the pages of a book long forgotten
And Snowball and Napoleon relegate into animals in uniform.
If my donkey still goes for a speech tomorrow as well
I am sure I will find a speech therapist to reverse the case.
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The book forgotten is 'ANIMAL FARM 'by George Orwell
Comments about this poem (MY DONKEY HAS TO KEEP QUIET by M.D Dinesh Nair )
Did you read them?
- Love and True love, Tilde Sauffaus
- On - that note, sEaN nOrTh
- In The Quiet Of The Night, Clive Blake
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #8, Brian Johnston
- Old Drunk's Advice to an Anxious Beau, Donal Mahoney
- TWAILE! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Mother, Tamara Dunn
- Autumn, Mark Hamilton
- J.Bast, I try your face... - translation.., Lyudmila Purgina
- It's Not Nice To Kill Other People, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns