My Dear Child
You were a product of poor environment.
You were given no chance,
You were given no hope,
Destined to be held captive,
In a prison of flesh and bone.
Children should play,
Children should laugh,
Children should explore new worlds,
You only knew of pain,
You only knew illness,
You only knew of despair.
No child should be as you.
No child is a machine.
I now look upon man in disgust,
For making you this way.
You were never kept by breast,
You were fed by machines,
Machines that kept you.
Once I saw you smile,
I know you knew of love,
My father kept you nourished,
My mother dressed you well.
I knew little of suffering,
I knew little of misery,
I knew nothing until I met you.
A child who couldn't speak,
who couldn't walk,
who couldn't read,
Taught me new worlds and possibilities.
Your final days, I couldn't watch,
I couldn't bend at knee,
I waited for the phone call,
To hear that you were free,
My dear child,
You were a product of poor enviroment,
You gave me a chance,
You gave me hope,
You have set me free!
H.J. Shreeve's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Dear Child by H.J. Shreeve )
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
- Often I Am Reminded, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- God Knows, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)