My Dear Child
You were a product of poor environment.
You were given no chance,
You were given no hope,
Destined to be held captive,
In a prison of flesh and bone.
Children should play,
Children should laugh,
Children should explore new worlds,
You only knew of pain,
You only knew illness,
You only knew of despair.
No child should be as you.
No child is a machine.
I now look upon man in disgust,
For making you this way.
You were never kept by breast,
You were fed by machines,
Machines that kept you.
Once I saw you smile,
I know you knew of love,
My father kept you nourished,
My mother dressed you well.
I knew little of suffering,
I knew little of misery,
I knew nothing until I met you.
A child who couldn't speak,
who couldn't walk,
who couldn't read,
Taught me new worlds and possibilities.
Your final days, I couldn't watch,
I couldn't bend at knee,
I waited for the phone call,
To hear that you were free,
My dear child,
You were a product of poor enviroment,
You gave me a chance,
You gave me hope,
You have set me free!
H.J. Shreeve's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Dear Child by H.J. Shreeve )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- upon new year's, Ivana Valasik
- Double Jeopardy, David Lewis Paget
- Mining artwork narratives from Sydney Bi.., Danny Draper
- I want to change the language, Danny Draper
- Conference confinement, Danny Draper
- Lunch in the Art Gallery of NSW members .., Danny Draper
- Vulnerability, Valsa George
- Arbitrary (an acronym for beaurocracy), Danny Draper
- The Great Avarice Belief, Danny Draper
- Five Liner- Another Dawn, Valsa George