Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound.
What meaneth nature by these diverse laws?
Passion and reason self-division cause.
It is the mark or majesty of power
To make offences that it may forgive;
Nature herself doth her own self deflower,
To hate those errors she herself doth give.
For how should man think that he may not do,
If nature did not fail and punish too?
Tyrant to others, to herself unjust,
Only commands things difficult and hard,
Forbids us all things which it knows is lust,
Makes easy pains, unpossible reward.
If nature did not take delight in blood,
She would have made more easy ways to good.
We that are bound by vows and by promotion,
With pomp of holy sacrifice and rites,
To teach belief in good and still devotion,
To preach of heaven's wonders and delights:
Yet when each of us in his own heart looks
He finds the God there far unlike his books.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mustapha by Fulke Greville )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- The Tiger, William Blake
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
Poem of the Day
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies