Must Laugh At Getting Old
The sun is out and the wind is blowing my way
I’m here in the park with my grandson today
There are some kids with which he found to play
But it was for a short time, for their mothers took them away.
So with him I played a game or two of tag, football and
“Steal the old man’s bacon” – he would run and I would just fake it.
We walked over to the exercise course, but those were built
For a strong young horse.
Not even one push up or pull up could I do, I felt so ashamed
And didn’t know what to do.
I thought I was one active young 69 – “man oh man”
I sure am blind! (ha- ha)
I do look young for my age and I feel like a very young man!
But who am I fooling? It’s just my scam.
I can still walk o.k. and jog a little
If you give me some of your cats “tender vittles” (ha-ha)
All of us will look back at our younger years and try to hide our inner fears
Of when you can no longer do it like you did before
Because time has closed that door.
Now the clouds are starting to roll in, and I’ll leave this park with a grin.
And think of how a grandfather played with his grandson
And I wasn’t the only one.
There are others sitting on the benches watching their
When you get old! This becomes the way!
© L. RAMS
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Must Laugh At Getting Old by louis rams )
- Adlis, Mohamed Mahou
- Gigh Anamur n UmaDal, Mohamed Mahou
- -Silent Became My Walking Shadow-, Ali Sabry
- - I Wish You Weren't In-, Ali Sabry
- - Princes Was A Dream Girl Day and Night-, Ali Sabry
- - Hurtful Interaction-, Ali Sabry
- - Please My Lovely Lady Don't Leave Lone.., Ali Sabry
- - My heart loves you -, Ali Sabry
- Floppy, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- -I Do Not Only Loving You-, Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Woman's Last Word, Robert Browning
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)