Learning enhances breadth of vision
Compassion adds humane dimension
Feelings impel you for action.
Vanity with wisdom if resides
Not by others, it self derides
It does no good to one's pride.
'Am wiser than you' is an addiction
It's just a myth and a fiction
May be a sign of dereliction!
Hanker not for what is beyond your reach
Coveting what is of others does no one preach
Control your desires is what wise men teach.
Hedonistic pursuit satiates for a while
Pleasure is transient, it self stultifies
It ends in boredom, happiness it can't provide.
Your share of pleasure if more than mine
Diligently for comforts you deign design
What lies in future is in the ken divine.
Hatred if with hatred paid
It never ends, ill will it generates
Enmity it perpetuates.
Hatred and ill will are depravity of mind
Solace from it you never can find
Forgiveness is a trait sublime.
Om Chawla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Musings by Om Chawla )
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
- Gandhi, gajanan mishra
- Keep Up, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You, Jose Orozco
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(c. 600 BCE)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)