Learning enhances breadth of vision
Compassion adds humane dimension
Feelings impel you for action.
Vanity with wisdom if resides
Not by others, it self derides
It does no good to one's pride.
'Am wiser than you' is an addiction
It's just a myth and a fiction
May be a sign of dereliction!
Hanker not for what is beyond your reach
Coveting what is of others does no one preach
Control your desires is what wise men teach.
Hedonistic pursuit satiates for a while
Pleasure is transient, it self stultifies
It ends in boredom, happiness it can't provide.
Your share of pleasure if more than mine
Diligently for comforts you deign design
What lies in future is in the ken divine.
Hatred if with hatred paid
It never ends, ill will it generates
Enmity it perpetuates.
Hatred and ill will are depravity of mind
Solace from it you never can find
Forgiveness is a trait sublime.
Om Chawla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Musings by Om Chawla )
- Banter, Stephen Peter Mills
- Old House, Naveed Khalid
- You Are My Addiction, Hayley Lewis
- Unwed Mother (A Confession Of Love), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Games, Hayley Lewis
- Late Night T.V With The Volume Set To Zero, Stephen Peter Mills
- Collage, Naveed Khalid
- False Deity, Hayley Lewis
- Cloze, Naveed Khalid
- Foremost among the Finest!, Stanley Collymore
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns