Learning enhances breadth of vision
Compassion adds humane dimension
Feelings impel you for action.
Vanity with wisdom if resides
Not by others, it self derides
It does no good to one's pride.
'Am wiser than you' is an addiction
It's just a myth and a fiction
May be a sign of dereliction!
Hanker not for what is beyond your reach
Coveting what is of others does no one preach
Control your desires is what wise men teach.
Hedonistic pursuit satiates for a while
Pleasure is transient, it self stultifies
It ends in boredom, happiness it can't provide.
Your share of pleasure if more than mine
Diligently for comforts you deign design
What lies in future is in the ken divine.
Hatred if with hatred paid
It never ends, ill will it generates
Enmity it perpetuates.
Hatred and ill will are depravity of mind
Solace from it you never can find
Forgiveness is a trait sublime.
Om Chawla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Musings by Om Chawla )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- This funny thing called Snow, Angell Afinowi
- One Last Chance, Abby Bilan
- Love Note 9, Michael P. McParland
- Lamentation of the Weak, Abby Bilan
- Love so unkempt..., Kenneth Maswabi
- morning conversation, oskar hansen
- Rescued, Ima Ryma
- Temptation of Xuanwu Lake, Luo Zhihai
- Ghazal: In Silence, Mimi Khalvati
- Awaiting for March, Rimni chakravarty