Learning enhances breadth of vision
Compassion adds humane dimension
Feelings impel you for action.
Vanity with wisdom if resides
Not by others, it self derides
It does no good to one's pride.
'Am wiser than you' is an addiction
It's just a myth and a fiction
May be a sign of dereliction!
Hanker not for what is beyond your reach
Coveting what is of others does no one preach
Control your desires is what wise men teach.
Hedonistic pursuit satiates for a while
Pleasure is transient, it self stultifies
It ends in boredom, happiness it can't provide.
Your share of pleasure if more than mine
Diligently for comforts you deign design
What lies in future is in the ken divine.
Hatred if with hatred paid
It never ends, ill will it generates
Enmity it perpetuates.
Hatred and ill will are depravity of mind
Solace from it you never can find
Forgiveness is a trait sublime.
Om Chawla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Musings by Om Chawla )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Anthem For Doomed Youth, Wilfred Owen
Poem of the Day
- The three happy man are in the world, no.., Yuri Starostin
- Far away stare, Cee Bea
- N.D.F.B. Lai katna jau, Pankazz koirala Upadhayaya
- Ayandolu, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Unspoiled Love, Sergi Dutronc
- Surrender The Anguish, lingering stupor
- New Year 2015, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Serenity Of Air, lingering stupor
- Lovely flow, hasmukh amathalal
- 'A Peaceful New Year', Sossi Khachadourian