Julie A Smith
Mud On My Shoe (A Poem About Regret)
I walk alone.
Sometimes the day is sunny.
Sometimes the day is cloudy.
Thunderstorms loom and threaten.
But, alas, there is no umbrella
to shield me
and to shield
the turbulent storm in my heart.
The dismal weather matches my fluctuating mood
of melancholy and regret.
The puddle looms but I don't see it.
Am I weary rose-colored glasses?
Sometimes a girl can only see a puddle
when she is already in it.
Such is life. Such is love. Such is heartache.
Mud clings to my shoe.
Bitter and lacking any mirth.
The epitome of my regret.
I try to scrub it off.
Still some mud lingers
and it seems
nothing I can do will change that.
Mud intertwines with my regret.
Hindsight is always 20/20,
so they say.
I sadly agree.
You live and you learn.
Mistakes will be made.
It is inevitable.
growth often involves pain,
Some mistakes are cleansed by the cool touch
of healing waters
while others seem to fester like open sores
and linger on
Thus, like the mud on my shoe,
these mistakes are not cleansed,
nor are they forgiven.
I walk on alone.
Hoping for a sunny day
or a moon
and a starry night.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Mud On My Shoe (A Poem About Regret) by Julie A Smith )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Character of a Happy Life, Sir Henry Wotton
Poem of the Day
- Broken Not Forgotten, Melissa Furey
- 2 ReaD A LinE Or 2 - Sh# ThaT they $mOkE.., sEaN nOrTh
- The Past, Sari Mavi
- winter clothes, Eric Ericson
- Sonnet11: 'Whose Mistresses These Are? '.., Pijush Biswas
- Deep in vogue, Stephen Brian Brady
- Deep into the Sea, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Save the girls, gajanan mishra
- Awaiting For Spring, Rimni chakravarty
- Light a fire, gajanan mishra