There are never any suicides in the quarter among people one knows
No successful suicides.
A Chinese boy kills himself and is dead.
(they continue to place his mail in the letter rack at the Dome)
A Norwegian boy kills himself and is dead.
(no one knows where the other Norwegian boy has gone)
They find a model dead
alone in bed and very dead.
(it made almost unbearable trouble for the concierge)
Sweet oil, the white of eggs, mustard and water, soap suds
and stomach pumps rescue the people one knows.
Every afternoon the people one knows can be found at the café.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Montparnasse by Ernest Hemingway )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Silent Noon, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Polar Bear Mugs Wino, Robert Ronnow
- Destiny! ! !, Amitava Sur
- Valentino's Victory Lap, Charles Hancock
- A Best friend to someone like me, Yselle Lucas
- Is it stress, Robert Ronnow
- Communicating the Bird, Robert Ronnow
- Chinese Sonnets, Robert Ronnow
- Caterpillar fur, Robert Ronnow
- The One I Adore, Michael P. McParland
- My other half, Asit Kumar Sanyal