Moated Waters of the River Rhine
Turrets assemble saluting the nomadic Rhine,
castles deeply footed in Goethe’s romanticized age
honor the passing river as the dandelions sway
to the knowledge of his wisdom, each quotable line
embedded in the rock faults supported to this day.
Faust’s pride and his quest to reach the zenith of knowledge
culminating in one moment of exquisite bliss
bitterly grieves the eternal price for this sweetened kiss.
On how many foolish wagers do we try to renege
in the sale of our soul importunely wished?
Why did Prometheus defy the gods as worship
starved charlatans who did nothing but enslave mankind?
I pay homage to these ruins as archers string their line
and their arrows fly through the mainstays of my ship
immersed in the moated waters of the River Rhine.
Captain Cur's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Moated Waters of the River Rhine by Captain Cur )
Did you read them?
- Clean and cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Holding You Tight, Michael McParland
- I'm bored with it all., gulsher JOHN
- A Rich Man, S.R. Riang
- the natural disaster.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Desert Country Ways, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Way To Balance In Life, Margaret Moran
- Choosing Directions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mind's Highway, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- While The World Is Asleep, Kewayne Wadley
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)