Theodora (Theo) Onken
Melting Into March~
Winter was long as an endless frozen pond- -
A virtual snow globe of incumbent weather...
Wearing the face of a despicable old crone...
So many frost bitten noses needing warmth as
The unforgiving ice kept cutting away;
The vicious north wind whipped at our cheeks
Bringing on that all too familiar sting - of no remorse;
I really believe Winter thought that she had the upper hand
Stealing our fair warm days away...
Little did she know that Spring was simply waiting in the wings
Simply biding it's time - it's cherry blossom time- -
Preparing for an easy March beginning
Coming in like a little lamb...
Yet each day still a challenge - a tease - if you will...
For Spring fought with all of it's might...
Melting her last blanket of desolute grey-white
Bringing forth a brand new season under a Texas sun - so bright;
By: Theodora Onken
Dedicated to Spring &
The new light it brings
About long drawn out or
Short pauses in time
Used to carry out weather's
Most miserable of crime - Old Crone Winter
Theodora (Theo) Onken's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
And all of the blossoms of love that it brings!
Comments about this poem (Melting Into March~ by Theodora (Theo) Onken )
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Boy vs girl, Mark Heathcote
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda
- Human Nature, Merton Lee
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Two Little Boats, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- The Golden Swan, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- As a passer-bye, MOHAMMAD SKATI