You followed me when there was light around me,
And I could not see you or your shadow.
When the night came and the leaves fell,
You were still there.
We kissed when I still wondered who you are,
Perhaps my death or one more scar,
What do I care, what hollow grief,
Ever a transition and luck, but may it be mine?
It mattered not if you followed me through the light,
A dim dawn it always was, your shadow,
A home from the corner of my eye,
Enticed by the beekeeper's daughter,
The other love, two poles, like a magnet,
My dark and my light,
Which incarnation would you take,
Another one I have met before and lost so well?
But it matters that I have not met you yet,
It matters that you still follow me,
Carry the light and a little bit of life.
While I walk, still walk,
And I consider it a miracle,
How two poles, like a magnet, can draw
All power out of the dark,
While I vow to give up neither one of you.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Magnet by Jan Hauck )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Spirit, Paul Moosberg
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Failure of Communion, Judith Wright
Poem of the Day
- To Mr. Blanchard, the Celebrated Aeronau.., Philip Freneau
- Sherman, Kim Barney
- If I Could, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Carol,, Luo Zhihai
- Santa, Nassy Fesharaki
- Boat race., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Shall I Compare Thee 2, Kim Barney
- Salt on Watermelon 2, Kim Barney
- I Know, I Believe, Kim Hilliker
- I Will, Michael P. McParland