M.Lermontov,15 july 1830 - translation (rus.)
Why did I leave the circle, though unshaped,
Of relatives? All was so warm in-there,
All were the friends and mentors, and my life
Was full of childish dreams inside.
And horrors were the play for soul,
My gain was fly to skies, to clouds!
And ready I was all to kiss in lips,
Without doubt of a snake in this.
The other people I entered to commune,
I learned them much, the friend's lie, sell-out, too.
I've become suspicious, and one day
I lost the talisman of a soul's nonchalance.
And nobody can greet with a word:
I'm friend to you! - The answer'll be a groan
From breast, and a reproach bad.
I'm got withdrawn of greetings that.
Ah, I was loving, when I was happy, yes,
When only from love I bursted into tears.
But having filled with woe all this breast,
How, tell me please, how could I love, at least?
I'm feared, while embracing a virgin,
I have a cup of poison - love instead,
And fill with it my living soul,
Show heart as the altar without fire then.
But I'm better, than they see outside,
They can't read in my face a feel;
What they are rumouring about... hush!
If I knew, how could I come through this.
There's a fire in myself against,
But not the fire of the anger, true,
Nor vengeance, not scorn, as yet,
But... why they tried to poison childhood?
The crooked bow, having torn its string,
Rattles loud - but will not be straight;
To overcome their chains, I made, in real,
The last attempt with rising head;
So... now I'm living sad
And miserable far, without friends,
Without hopes, thoughts and powers, to say,
And paler than a beam of moon, that skates
Along the wall through gap without sense.
Lyudmila Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (M.Lermontov,15 july 1830 - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- To her...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Sunset Couple Time, Saiom Shriver
- Waiting On Nothing, Kyle Schlicher
- Cut Myself While Shaving, Kyle Schlicher
- The Basket Weavers, Holly Wotherspoon
- Eternal Life, Michael P. McParland
- Enriched, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Lights, Meriam Joseph
- 12/12/13, Andy Sayasone
- Endless Deep Beauty, Michael P. McParland