Lying In Grass
Is this everything now, the quick delusions of flowers,
And the down colors of the bright summer meadow,
The soft blue spread of heaven, the bees' song,
Is this everything only a god's
The cry of unconscious powers for deliverance?
The distant line of the mountain,
That beautifully and courageously rests in the blue,
Is this too only a convulsion,
Only the wild strain of fermenting nature,
Only grief, only agony, only meaningless fumbling,
Never resting, never a blessed movement?
No! Leave me alone, you impure dream
Of the world in suffering!
The dance of tiny insects cradles you in an evening radiance,
The bird's cry cradles you,
A breath of wind cools my forehead
Leave me alone, you unendurably old human grief!
Let it all be pain.
Let it all be suffering, let it be wretched-
But not this one sweet hour in the summer,
And not the fragrance of the red clover,
And not the deep tender pleasure
In my soul.
Translated by James Wright
Submitted by Holt
Hermann Hesse's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lying In Grass by Hermann Hesse )
- under developed.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Escape, Sandra Feldman
- MUSIC OFF THE WALL! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Expander, Kim Barney
- I believe you never will be too late, Trong Phan
- Angel's fear, gulsher JOHN
- when i loved you and you loved her and s.., Mandolyn ...
- LOve is replaced, hasmukh amathalal
- The lonely wolf, denise nixon
- He Sleeps Too Much, Jena Crowe
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(November 9 - 1937)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)