One day the little girl was playing on the floor
fallen asleep, she'd open eyes
to find own head on older sister's lap.
There were voices speaking all at once,
music playing a foreign song and, lots of laughes!
She didn't dare to breathe, played dead asleep
knowing that as soon she'd open eyes to move
will be surely sent to the 'children room'.
One moment everyone quiet down, the music stopped
and a young man recited something strange
it sounded like a foreign tongue lyrics song.
Too small to understand, two words were stuck
to the little girl ears, ahh how much she wanted
to watch the voice coming out from young man's mouth!
How can she make those words sound the same?
How strange that tongue, familiar sounds
yet could not understand one word? !
But those two words, or one, oh, such strange
sounds, how much she loved!
Kept in her mind to be played again and again
Rearanged, viceversa then back to normal state.
Years later, at school's latin hour she found
the (thought) forgotten words, reminded was
that once upon a time were part of little game:
'volens nolens', changed upon her play,
finally learned its meaning and true form:
Elena Sandu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Loving Memories by Elena Sandu )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- यादों की चाह.............., sanjay kumar maurya
- I am in the river of blood, gajanan mishra
- Textology - 4. Statements, Joseph Archer
- Nobody, maryline vautravers
- Textology - 3. Mistakes, Joseph Archer
- Your smile, Leong Ming Loong
- everything is ok, Cee Bea
- मेरी तनहाइयां..............., sanjay kumar maurya
- Curses Of Much, Naveed Akram
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar