Brian Garfield Morrison
Love Thy Neighbor
Next door I heard her arduously praying,
When appearing out of nowhere - a quiet gusting.
Shivering not; but caustiously aware of a presence,
An aroma unfamiliar...crowding the dark room.
'Who is it' she asked aloud - half raised.
Staring into the night, unclad - half dazed.
Intently listening as the silence grew intense,
'Is that my lover' she said with gloom.
'Your lover left...gone' came the heavenly refrain
'I took his last breath but not in vain'
Up now and wide awake, it was indeed no dream.
I had prayed to him and now he has come.
'Lord have mercy on my soul,
To you I give myself, for any role'
'Did you love your neighbor with esteem?
If not, why should you be mine...to welcome'
Mankind, your true lover, so yearned your touch.
He laid at your feet, as we walked and rushed.
His declaration, is my declaration ignored
Nonetheless, I love you still - be assured.
'Oh God...have mercy on my soul,
To you I give myself, use for any role'
Hush now my love, awake from thy slumber,
Go henceforth, feed your love. Appease all hunger.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Love Thy Neighbor by Brian Garfield Morrison )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai
- Beautiful flower, gajanan mishra
- A Fool, crystal ruth
- The Game, douglas scotney