In me cried a silent need;
I knew not what it was.
All around I heard men plead
And croon the need of love.
'What is this precious gem, ' I ask,
'And where can it be found? '
Both fools and wise men make reply
And clamor to expound.
Some said twas found in little things
That make our life worthwhile.
Others said it was desire
Yet could not reconcile
Why it should burn out like a fire
When that desire was spent.
Like a diamond's living gleam,
Love should be permanent.
'You ask too much, ' the fool replied,
'For love is all around.
It need not stand the test of time
Nor smoulder in the ground.
Who knows what angry heat or cold
A diamond must withstand.
Other gems are dazzling
And serve the hearts of man.
Should one loose its luster
There are more to be found.
Not all men need traverse
The diamond's arduous ground.'
Could this be the reason
For man's continuous plea?
Has he perceived the genuine
In a facsimile?
Impatience for a liaison,
It is false gems men crave.
Leave acquisition of the genuine
To the patient and the brave.
For while men seek a diamond,
They settle for mere glass
Then claim the price of diamonds
More than the gods would ask
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~Love's Diamond by Adeline Foster )
- Am I a cynic?, Khairul Ahsan
- Being Serenaded By Heaven, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Message To My Daughter's Grandfather., Tony Adah
- Beneath Covers Of Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My New Home, Leong Ming Loong
- Lost Sequences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Longing, Leong Ming Loong
- Mr. Conservative Asking Her Daughter, Wh.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Parable, Leong Ming Loong
- The Torture, Leong Ming Loong
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love, Ocean Myranda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)