Kathleen Jessie Raine
Yours is the face that the earth turns to me,
Continuous beyond its human features lie
The mountain forms that rest against the sky.
With your eyes, the reflecting rainbow, the sun's light
Sees me; forest and flower, bird and beast
Know and hold me forever in the world's thought,
Creation's deep untroubled retrospect.
When your hand touches mine it is the earth
That takes me--the green grass,
And rocks and rivers; the green graves,
And children still unborn, and ancestors,
In love passed down from hand to hand from God.
Your love comes from the creation of the world,
From those paternal fingers, streaming through the clouds
That break with light the surface of the sea.
Here, where I trace your body with my hand,
Love's presence has no end;
For these, your arms that hold me, are the world's.
In us, the continents, clouds and oceans meet
Our arbitrary selves, extensive with the night,
Lost, in the heart's worship, and the body's sleep.
Kathleen Jessie Raine's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love Poem by Kathleen Jessie Raine )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Poet Versus Members - Poem Hunters Rule .., Hardik Vaidya
- Push Aside, Seema Chowdhury
- Earthquake, friend and foe, Siu Lun Tsui
- Inner Callings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spiritual Moments, Seema Chowdhury
- Promise of Spring, Seema Chowdhury
- Brunellus the Ass, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- Richness of Small Things, Seema Chowdhury
- My Coequal, Naveed Akram
- Gajanan Mishra - A Fellow Poet, Hardik Vaidya