I Gazed upon a withered tree,
That sang a soured song,
It's acrid melody,
'My love will soon be gone.'
Life, save me from thoughts arid soil,
Sweet memories make my roots recoil,
Force me to sway, to stoop so low,
For love's last kiss so long ago.
The haunting eve before the callous day,
Did whisper, you must go away.
An arid sea now, I have wept,
Through fleeting night I never slept.
Dawn arrived to vanquish night,
That died so fast, without a fight.
I rose to wake you, for one moment last,
Too late, your life already past.
I gaze upon a withered tree,
That sings a soured song,
It's bitter melody,
'You're gone my love, you're gone.'
The venom of your passing bites,
A raging fire within me ignites,
To char all mankind, to feel my pain,
But stays within, to never wane.
I gaze into a looking glass,
There I see a withered tree,
It sometimes speaks and when it speaks,
A soured song it sings to me.
Kevin Moss 28/03/14
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love Lost by Kevin Moss )
- Falling Doves, Joshua Chuhran
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
- For the Love of Poetry, Sandra Feldman
- The stars that whisper the name Star Buc.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Universe Of True Love, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Halloween Haiku, Thomas Koron
- What a lovely night to see a star., Raymond Sawyer
Poem of the Day
- How to Write the Great American Indian N.., Sherman Alexie
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)