love lies bleeding
Love lies bleeding
over the garden wall
flowers without recall.
than love that bleeds to death,
wood and plaster
stagger out of breath.
the flowers bleed like love,
while fallen halls
observe them from above.
As man restores
the halls, the flowers' bloom
that bleeds ignores
the silent buildings' doom.
Inspired during a visit to Heritage Square Museum where the guide, Richard Hilton, not only conducted us to the Longfellow-Hastings Octagon House but pointed out that the flowers in a garden outside the house were called love-lies-bleeding and over-the-garden-wall.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (love lies bleeding by gershon hepner )
- Goodnight Kiss, Nicholas Nikolov
- MURIEL, Donald R Charon
- GLENDA, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Close To You, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lament Of Many, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Misguided, Donald R Charon
- NATURE'S INFLUENCE, Donald R Charon
- How Was Your Day?, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)