Love is a cage
When I'm in love
I feel locked in a cage
I place you above
everything and I feel rage.
Rage that you don't reciprocate
And you know how to aggravate
Rage that you don't write
Rage that you keep me up at night
Rage that I need you tonight
And you don't plan to invite
You don't try to be polite.
You want to show me the light,
but you know I'm filled with fright
You say my future is bright,
but I don't see it in delight
You say you love me, but not quite,
You know how a fire to ignite
You surely know how to excite
I wish you would a poem for me recite
but somehow I don't think you might.
Hey, no worries, I'll be all right.
Now that I think I know you better
I understand you're noone to fetter
I know all you expect from me is to write
I accept it and I think I'll be all right.
I don't need to show you love
I don't need to tell you how I care
You know my heart is like a dove,
pure and vulnerable and really rare
And to get hurt wouldn't be fair.
So, with you, no more despair!
As long as you and I are aware
We can be good friends, I swear,
But, don't you tease me, don't you dare
With I LOVE YOU's; it's unfair,
Let's stay friends, let's keep it there,
We've got so much indeed to share,
We can have a friendship that is rare.
Hope that's what you want from me.
If yes, I'll feel a delightful flare.
And that's really all I had to declare
You've got it all written up, right there.
CeCe Lamberts's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love is a cage by CeCe Lamberts )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Her Beauty, Spiritwind Wood
- My Quiet Serenity, Spiritwind Wood
- The Road That I Follow, Spiritwind Wood
- The Stalin Epigram, Osip Emilevich Mandelstam
- My Soul, Spiritwind Wood
- Hold On, Spiritwind Wood
- Underwoods: Epigram, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Passions of Love, Cathy Hodgson
- What Is an Epigram?, Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- Before and Every After, Marianne Boruch