I looked for you at dawn’s new sunrise,
Through sleepy hollows and moss covered trails.
I looked through the pile of long buried sorrows,
Searching yesterday for brighter tomorrows.
I waited atop the steep, emerald hill,
I lingered by the glassy lake where time stood still.
I looked for you and lost myself.
I lost the one running from the ruins,
The one who vowed to never let love come in.
I lost her by the riverside,
Where she buried her dignity and drowned her pride.
I waited and watched in a quiet cafe.
Lost track of time day after day.
I walked cobbled streets, chased an elusive shadow.
Wherever it turned in my dreams I would follow.
In a dark cathedral with centuries old chanting,
I searched for the times that were so enchanting.
I looked for you and found myself at last.
I found the one who was running from the past.
The one who saw life through a rainbow's prism.
A fallen victim of her own optimism.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Sometimes you succeed and find these in different forms, sometimes you face disappointments and hurts. Written 2013.
Comments about this poem (Lost by Valerie HutchinsonMorgan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- the giver tanka, Kayla Daley
- Your Love Is, Michael McParland
- Living A Life I Profess, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Devotional Plead to the Universal Mother*, Tushar Ray
- Living Life I Profess, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Self-learning School, Tushar Ray
- Theo van B, Hugh Mitchell
- Feather Rose haiku, Kayla Daley
- Daytime shooting star, Kayla Daley
- Yin yang tattoo Tanka, Kayla Daley