Augustus Montague Toplady
Lord, Save Us, We Perish
Pilot of the soul, awake,
Save us for thy mercies' sake;
Now rebuke the angry deep,
Save, O save thy sinking ship!
Stand at the helm, our vessel steer,
Mighty on our side appear
Saviour, teach us to descry
Where the rocks and quicksands lie.
The waves shall impotently roll,
If thou 'rt the anchor of the soul:
At thy word the wind shall cease,
Storms be hush'd to perfect peace.
Be thou our haven of retreat,
A rock to fix our wav'ring feet,
Teach us to own thy sovereign sway,
Whom the winds and seas obey.
Augustus Montague Toplady's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lord, Save Us, We Perish by Augustus Montague Toplady )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 July 1793 – 20 May 1864)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
Poem of the Day
- Eyebrows Wrinkle, Mae AC.
- It's Almost Christmas, Heather Burns
- Thumbs up, Mae AC.
- Young, I Journey Along The Way, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Eyes Crease, Mae AC.
- Through A Ghostly Patch of Memories, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Smiles Politely, Mae AC.
- The Painting of A Sigh, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- A Child Is Born, Heather Burns
- Suicidal Hypocricy, Mutasem I. Amayreh