Looking In the Mirror
Looking In the Mirror
She stands and looks at herself in the mirror.
Trying to think clearer,
But the nearer someone gets.
She feels rejections hard hits.
She can’t seem to get off of sympathy road.
Carrying life’s heavy load
The road keeps getting longer.
While she’s not feeling any stronger,
She stares at the girl in the mirror.
Not understanding, why or how, she has become what she’s become.
As she smacks her chewing-gum,
She thought at times of just taking a gun.
What’s the use, what am I living for.
Feeling too weak to walk out the door,
Tired of living poorer,
While every man she meets treats her like a whore.
She just wants to change the face in the mirror.
To a girl that laughs.
She’s tired of feeling beaten down.
She should be a Queen wearing a crown.
But the road she took,
She didn’t get to take a second look.
Everything in life had already been planned.
If she didn’t do what he said, she’d feel the sting of the back of his hand.
Her life was a curse.
She had no money in her purse.
She just stood seeing her reflection in the mirror.
And with one last look,
She took hold of the good Book.
And said I deserve a second chance.
She packed her clothes walked out the door.
Not looking back for a second glance.
No matter what she felt?
She couldn’t deal with what she was dealt.
Every girl deserves a hero.
And when someone doesn’t step in,
Sometimes you gotta hold your chin up.
Instead of giving up,
You gotta be a hero to yourself.
You have to learn not to wait on someone else.
Because every broken girl,
That’s waiting for her new world.
There’s a hero deep inside.
She’s right there, by your side.
You just have to reach deep inside.
You don’t have to wait through the night.
For a knight in shining armor,
You’re your own hero.
Only God and time can heal the broken sparrow.
Fly child, fly!
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Looking In the Mirror by Patricia Kelley )
- Life and body separable, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 10, ramesh rai
- Beyond my Soul, John Siregar
- Searching Blonde, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Destiny....., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 9, ramesh rai
- Our House Is The Mountain Top, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- At no cost, hasmukh amathalal
- Overcompensation, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Virtual White Teeth, douglas scotney
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Let Go and Let God (dedicated to my aunt.., Miss Remy
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)