Looking Down On Me
I'm looking down on everyone
Why am I up so high?
I cannot go down lower
No matter how hard I try
Why am I seeing that small crowd?
Around a bundle on the ground
Apart from someone crying
They're not making a single sound
I now can hear a siren
And see a flashing light as well
It looks like a police car
As far as I can tell
What is it doing here?
Has an incident occurred?
Has there been a murder?
No, that idea is absurd
The crowd are now dispersing
And a body I can see
I look on in such horror
The body there is me
I'm not dead, I cry out
But no one can hear me scream
Please let me be in my own bed
And wake from this bad dream
And wake up in my bed I do
With the sheets soaked in my sweat
And relieved that it not my time
To meet my maker yet.
Philip Carter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Looking Down On Me by Philip Carter )
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
- Joan Rivers, Ima Ryma
- First October Twentieth Fourteen, Tony Adah
- تحية طيبة, خليل مردم بك
- Happy Writer, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- هذا وربك مثوى كل إنسان, خليل مردم بك
- Scars Never Heal, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Closed Doors, Omar Eldamsheety
Poem of the Day
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns