Going down the steps
Into the ticket office.
Walking past the queue of passengers
Lining up to buy a travelcard.
Smug look on my face:
I have an Oyster card.
Going through the barriers,
Then down the escalator.
“Stand on the right, ”
A hundred signs say.
Let others pass on the left
So they can quicker get away.
Down onto the platform,
Waiting for a train.
A train comes in.
“Mind the gap, ”
An announcement says,
As if the gap is a trap
To stop you going on your way.
At last, I get onto the train,
Find a seat then sit on it.
Pick up a copy of the Metro
To read and giggle at the cartoons
While the train whisks me
From Baker Street to Waterloo
The train stops at Regent’s Park,
Then Oxford and Piccadilly Circuses,
Then Charing Cross and Embankment,
Then finally to Waterloo station,
Where I get out
And take an escalator to the top.
I like the London Underground.
It gets me where I want to go.
The trains are very frequent,
And punctual at that.
I love the London Underground.
The above line is a fact.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (London Underground by Andrew Hamm )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Brain-Drain, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Heaven's Delight, JJ Evendon
- (7) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Two or Three, M.J. Lemon
- A Modern Haiku For Modern Life, M.J. Lemon
- We are All Nomads, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Dancing Shadows!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Still I Rise, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Sweet Sadness, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Keep Smiling, Md. Ziaul Haque
- No More Pain, Md. Ziaul Haque