The austere conduct of Ascetics stand tall
When they abandon worldly desires all.
The loftiness of those who have curbed all desires
Is akin to counting the number of people dead.
Beyond all others the Ascetic shines
Because the common place world he truly opines.
To one who has his five senses subdued
Lord Indra* himself is lured.
Great men overpower their desires
The small men fall in the worldly mires.
The great have the world within their spell
To interpret about sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell.
The Ascetics negotiate with words cryptic
By which they convey with codes mystique.
The wrath of an insulted Ascetic, who is atop a hill
Cannot be borne and endured to still.
The Ascetic towards all has pools of compassion
And thus fulfills in this world his mission.
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
It was authored by the Saint-Poet-'Thiruvalluvar' who lived 30 years before Christ.
*Lord Indra is considered as the King of Heaven in Hindu philosophy.
Comments about this poem (Lofty Ascetics by chandra thiagarajan )
- Identity Theft Is A Problem, Mariyah Mckaufman
- My Burning Feet, Cindy Howard
- Hands of labor, Nassy Fesharaki
- 강남오피 >>(밤의전쟁) << BAMWAR3.COM, sarah wight1
- Another Day With You, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Waiting for winter., David Lessard
- That Was Then..., David Lewis Paget
- There Are So Many Things..., Dr John Celes
- For Alex in Winter, Neal Beightol
- Last Words, Josilinia Plyman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)