Lines on a Souvenir Tea Towel (The Royal Wedding,1981)
Princess Di smiles up.
She’s wearing a frilled blouse
and a black velvet ribbon at her throat.
I had a blouse like that.
I wore it the day we flew to Brunei,
the day before her wedding.
beamed to southeast Asia by the BBC,
I watched the endless train of her designer gown
sparkling in the English summer sun,
the crowds on London streets.
I thought she was the lucky one.
I wished that I was dead.
the monsoon rain beat
on iron roofs and swaying travellers’ palms.
She and I, the commoner and Lady Di,
both in transition, newly-wed.
Since then, we’ve both moved on again.
Now I’m the lucky one, for I’m alive.
Diana died as she kept up the pace
of high life living... and
no one dries their dishes
on an image of my face.
Janice Windle's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lines on a Souvenir Tea Towel (The Royal Wedding,1981) by Janice Windle )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip
- I Lost My Heart A Time Ago, Valerie Dohren