There once was a writer named Lear
With the first name of Edward...I fear
He was English...I say
He wrote Limericks every day
And we celebrate his birthday each year.
The Limericks he wrote or he sent
Had an obscene or humorous intent
Please keep them clean
But if you must be obscene
Best to secure your parent’s consent.
If you need help keeping one chaste
Here’s an example...not profanity laced
With no obscenity
It has a rating of ‘G’
So you can bet that it’s done in good taste:
I have a friend, Barb, with whom I once taught
In all our years together...we never fought.
But I think she’ll be mad
Perhaps call me a cad
When I remind her I’m retired...and she’s not.
And here’s a point I know will amaze
It sure makes Barb’s eyebrows raise
You see each year her birthday
Falls on Limerick Day
So she’ll be getting Limericks for the rest of her days
True it may not resemble Shakespeare
But we still say thanks Edward Lear
Because it has a certain schtick
That old Limerick.
Celebrated May 12th...every year.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Limerick Day by Jim Yerman )
- The girl of great beauty was not to be f.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Moon's Rebellion, Kewayne Wadley
- African Funeral, onzia dan
- Scavenger, Morakinyo Temiloluwa Bolarinwa
- Letter To My Rose (Part F), Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
- you and that love thing..., Mandolyn ...
- Hint, hasmukh amathalal
- Our Green Hope, Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
- - On the Longfellow bridge, Giorgio A. V.
- the dishwasher sounds like it's off its .., Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns