Some days I feel I'm drowning
sinking way down low.
Some days I feel like giving up
and think I'd like to go.
But, looking up above me
I see a gleaming light.
I swim and kick and struggle
and push with all my might.
As I break upon the surface
I gasp and gulp for air.
I look all around me
and can't believe what's there.
Floating on the ocean
as far as I can see
lots of coloured lifejackets
waiting just for me.
As soon as I get near one
they wrap themselves around
and pull my weary body
to some safer ground.
'Where do they come from? '
I think I hear you say.
Well, they come from the people
I talk to every day.
People who understand
this journey we are on.
Whether it is short
whether it is long.
So, thank you my friends
that's all I'd like to say.
And, I hope I'll be a lifejacket for you someday!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lifejackets by Elaine Macfarlane )
- Loving you, Harold R Hunt Sr
- over zelouse, lee fones
- weird smells, lee fones
- Truth, Jonathan H. Scott
- Hindi haiku - diwali, S.D. TIWARI
- You, With Your Wild Strawberries, Will N.., mary douglas
- A jumping bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- There are heroes, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love counts the hours, Mark Heathcote
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)