Life of the Living
I chose to make a silent plea, to the Gods above that look down on me,
And I thought they ignored all the soul in my voice, and I thought that it meant it was always my choice,
So I chose to shred and slash and tear, at the peace in my life that I thought didn't care,
And I chose what I thought was the greatest goodbyes, in a destructive path full of deceit and lies.
Intense and cold I looked for the sun, to release my jaded thoughts of someone,
A someone so closed from pain and thrill, that made me think I needed to kill,
My soul, my heart, my being, my life, just to keep things balanced on an edge of a knife,
So I looked for someone to break through the hold, to shatter the ice that kept my heart cold.
Then it flew to my life on a carpet of fire, and it promised to take me forever higher,
And to dance with the Devil, I jumped at the fate, and I kept on falling, in a confinement of hate,
So I carelessly threw out, all my worn-out possessions, and instead replaced them with deadly obsessions,
In a spiral of lust, I thought wouldn't end, where I had nothing to lose, with hate as my friend.
So then it's gone, in a blink of closed eyes, and I look back to the days where I told all those lies,
And ignorance is bliss for all of a day, until you realise you need to accept how you play,
Jump off the road that you thought you should walk, and run in the grass, through the leaves you can stalk,
Hold yourself close, and shut off the pain, of all of the thoughts that can drive you insane.
Time is a healer, and to look back to the start, it wasn't your choice, it was simply your part,
In a hallway of life, where you choose all the doors, take a chance with one and hope you don't fall,
'Cause everything that happens, the good and the bad, leads you here where you are, so love the time that you had,
Now I look to the stars, and I wince at the pain, but then I just smile, and stay playing this game.
Terri Louise's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Life of the Living by Terri Louise )
- Coming Home, Randy McClave
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)